What is an Eye Emergency?
Trauma occurs when there’s an impact in or around the eye.
Symptoms of trauma can include:
- Bleeding eye
- Sharp or throbbing eye pain
- Black eye or bruising
If you or a loved one experiences a traumatic injury to the eye, place a cold compress on the affected area and contact a medical professional right away.
- Irritants: Chemicals with a neutral PH like detergents and pepper spray.
- Alkali: Chemicals like fertilizer, cleaning products, and cement.
- Acid: Chemicals in products like nail polish, vinegar, and car batteries.
Tears, Rips, & Punctures
Tears, rips, and punctures are severe eye emergencies. Please remember not to apply any pressure to these types of wounds.
When an object becomes embedded in your eye, it is called a puncture wound. If you or a loved one has something embedded in the eye, you must immobilize the object and seek medical attention immediately.
- Leave it exactly as it is.
- The size of the object determines how you should bandage it:
- If it is smaller, cover both eyes with a sterile bandage.
- If it is larger, tape a paper cup over the affected eye and cover the other eye with a sterile bandage.
Remember to seek medical assistance immediately for rips, tears, and punctures. If our office is closed, please proceed to the nearest emergency room.
Proper Eye Protection
Experts say that 90% of all eye emergencies are preventable. If you’re playing sports, using chemicals, or working in a hazardous area, protect yourself by wearing appropriate eye protection.
If you or a loved one experiences an eye emergency, contact Total Vision San Francisco for proper treatment and compassionate assistance. If you’re not sure if your condition warrants an emergency, we can help assess the situation and determine your next course of action.
Don’t delay. Swift treatment can save your vision!
Come & See Us
We’re located just down the street from the famous Chinatown Gate entrance, near Union Square. Parking is easy. It’s just across the street at the Stockton/Sutter Garage!
- 530 Bush Street #101
- San Francisco, CA 94108
- Phone: (415) 291-8560
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
Our Eye Care Services
Adult & Senior Eye Exams
At Total Vision San Francisco, we provide comprehensive eye exams in a comfortable environment so you feel well taken care of. Book your eye exam today!
Children’s Eye Exams
We care about your child’s eyesight, that’s why we provide friendly, welcoming service. Bring them in for an eye exam!
Contact Lens Exams, Fittings, & Brands
Are you dreaming of less reliance on your eyeglasses? A contact lens exam and fitting can be the first step to a glasses-free life!